20.4.09

P4C..Philosophy for Children..





I really had fun in my conference today. It was really an eye opener for me as an educator, as a school leader in my case. We were given a talk about the new proposed curriculum for the UK by Mick Waters. I am happy to say that ours are moving towards the same direction. That really boosts my confidence to deliver more for the demands of SPN21.
What really stays with me, is the new pedagogy which is P4C introduced by Matt Blyton, teaching philosophy for children. One of the learning areas proposed by SPN21 is the ability of our pupils to possess the skills of critical thinking. Therefore, our challenge is to give endless opportunities for the kids to be more expressive and articulative in areas that they are concern with, particularly in philosophical matters. This is new. This is a good change. Not only we are teaching the kids to be more confident in sharing their views, but we are also nurturing them to have good values and attitudes. They are our future. We need to equip them with what we call as 'Pendidikan Kalbu'. To be able to think critically and creatively for the benefits of the development of our country. This is one of the strategies in shaping them to be responsible citizens in the future. I will share this with the rest of my colleagues and see what we can do in spreading the knowledge gained to the other teachers.
There is a picture of me with Kathy, the Headteacher of Panaga Hornbill School. This conference has opened a new form of networking between us. Kathy and her staffs are very interested to visit the schools in the rural areas and of course we will welcome them..:)
Thank you JSS officers for giving me the chance to have new experiences and knowledge from this conference.